We’ve come a long way in the AdSense Challenge and I hope you’ve started seeing some good results. Today, I want to share a valuable resource with you (particularly if you didn’t get the AdSense 100K Blueprint yet) and talk about the “must-have” types of backlinks, for your off-page SEO to really have an effect. But first, let me talk about an asset that is far more important than any link-building tool or strategy could ever be.
Cause and Effect
The asset I’m talking about could be called “motivation”. It could also be called “discipline” or “tenacity”. Whatever the thing is that some people have, that keeps them going until they have a revenue-generating empire of AdSense sites, and other miss and therefore never see great results.
If you look back at the past weeks, think about how you felt about this new project when you joined the AdSense Challenge. And compare that to how you feel now.
My hope is that there’s not much difference, for you. My hope is that you are getting some good clicks already and are watching your site(s) rise in the search results. And I know that this is the case for some of you, on the Challenge.
But I’m pretty sure that some are also struggling to stick with it and aren’t seeing great results yet. The question is: If you aren’t seeing results, is it because “it’s not working” despite your efforts, or is it because you’re lacking motivation/discipline/tenacity?
All of that is only part of the equation, though. The other part is that you look for cause and effect, in all this.
If the Challenge is going well for you, look for the cause of that. What is it, exactly, that keeps you going? Whatever that is, remember it and try to replicate it for future projects.
And if it’s not going well, what is it that makes it difficult for you? Look for the cause and ask yourself how you can eliminate or change it. The biggest mistake you can make is to just blame yourself. “I’m just lazy” or “I’ll never make it” are not causes. There’s always an external cause that leads to lack of motivation. Find it and see what you can do about it.
This is not only important for what you are doing now, on the AdSense Challenge, but for anything you attempt to do from now on.
As you probably know, the AdSense Challenge started thanks to the AdSense 100K Blueprint guide. If, for some reason, you have not read that guide yet, then here’s a very good resource for you, that you can see for free:
It’s extremely detailed and likely to be the best summarization of everything you need to know about AdSense, without having to pay for it.
1 Cause and Effect
As discussed above, finding the causes for your motivation or lack of motivation is hugely valuable, even though it doesn’t have anything to do with AdSense directly. Grab a pen and paper and take a few minutes to write down what is keeping you going (and what you’ll do to get more of that) and what’s keeping you down (and what you’ll do to get rid of that).
2 “Must-Have” Backlink, Number 1
For a truly effective backlinking strategy, you need to have a certain “bulk” of backlinks, simply to signal to Google “hey, there’s something going on over here!”. I’m not talking about thousands upon thousands of backlinks (although those can definitely help) – just a good number of links coming in from many different sources. Examples of such links are links from RSS feeds, social bookmarks, blog comments (even if they’re no-follow and don’t have your target anchor text), no-follow links in general and non-reinforced forum profile links.
Where to get them:
The easiest ways to get some bulk backlinks going are:
- Use OnlyWire to submit a bunch of bookmarks automatically (it’s free if you place an OnlyWire button on some random blog of yours.)
- Grab your site’s RSS feed (your URL followed by /feed for any WordPress site) and submit it to a few RSS directories (warning: that list is old. not all directories will work anymore).
- Hook up a ping.fm account with a bunch of micro-blogging services, free blogs etc. and submit a few updates with links through ping.fm.
3 “Must-Have” Backlink, Number 2
The next type of backlink you need is perhaps the backbone of most off-page SEO projects: links that aren’t low-quality, but aren’t great either. This means that they are links with your target anchor text and without a no-follow tag, but they may not sit on very authoritative sites. The reason these links are often the backbone is that they can usually be had in vast quantities, without too much work.
Where to get them:
4 “Must-Have” Backlink, Number 3
Finally, to really top off your backlink portfolio and give your competition a run for their money, add a few really high quality links to the mix. You don’t need a ton of these, since even just a handful of followed, anchor-text backlinks on pages with PageRank can make a huge difference. Unfortunately, links like this are pretty hard to come by.
Where to get them:
- Guest posting is a favourite for these kinds of links. If you can find an authority blog in your niche and get to contribute a guest-post with your backlink, that’s potentially a lot of link-juice and a lot of traffic coming your way. The downside is that if you have a markedly mediocre AdSense site, that might be a problem for getting a guest-post accepted.
- High-profile article marketing is a variation of guest blogging. In many niches, there are some high-quality sites that accept articles on a regular basis, even though they aren’t labeled as blogs or article directories. Do a search for “write for us” or “submit an article” plus your keyword to see if you can find some sites like this in your niche.
- BuildMyRank is another favourite of mine, although the links are only barely high-quality links. I’d say they fall somewhere between mid and high quality. However you want to classify them, they definitely work.
- Finally, you can “make your own” high quality backlinks by building a ton of backlinks to a page containing your backlink. We discussed that earlier in the AdSense Challenge and called it link reinforcement.
Your task is simply to take a look at your current backlink profile and make sure it contains a good dose of each of the three types of “must-have” backlinks. Then, go build more of the ones that are under-represented, so far.
All the best,